Thursday, June 12, 2014

15 Things You Didn't Know About Me


The other day a reader wrote me saying there is very little information on my blog about the person I am. I thought long and hard about that, but a smart answer eluded me. So instead I took the easy way out, and drew up a list – 15 things you didn't know about me.


Will this do?

1. First and the most obvious. I'm a list maniac. Packing list, To-do list, Grocery list, Birthday list… I make lists. I simply can’t function without them. Could also be that I have the memory of a gold fish. This naturally brings me to the second item on the list.


My phone cam pic
2. Its not personal, but I’m bad with names – horrible, terrible with names. But good with faces and places.

3. I met His Holiness the Dalai Lama's in Jaipur during JLF'13. Covered his press conference and sat a mere 5 ft away. Yes, he was inspirational. And patient enough to indulge all of us. Someone even asked him about his Masterchef Australia appearanceIf I manage to find the audio recording from that interview, I promise to make a post of it. (Meanwhile, you can read about my tete-a-tete with the Australian Masterchefs here)

4. Starting over in a new place is a real challenge. It tells you what your chances really are. I've done that. TWICE! 

5. I didn't have a passport for the first 24 years of my life.

6. When people presume I don’t have the stamina to do certain things, it pisses me off. Yes I’m a woman and I’m not skinny, but hey I’m not dead either.

7. I got inked in Malaysia this year, but I took five years to conquer my fear of the needle. No, it doesn't hurt bad. The noise of the machine is scarier. That’s why Apple invented the iPod.


Yup, its a selfie no doubt
8. I got lost in Turkey, while traveling there on work (full story here). Was rescued and dropped off safe by a policeman in his official car, rotating lights and all.  

9. I’m perfecting the art of taking artful selfies.

10. I still get goosebumps thinking about my first camping experience. The raging storm nearly blew the tent away but I woke up to a magnificent sunrise at the foothills of the Himalayas. That blog post found here 

11. I was in the school band, played the trumpet. We didn't win the inter-school competition that year. 

12. Jughead is my comic book hero. And like him, I was christened ‘the bottomless pit’ in school. I grew up to become a food critique and connoisseur and have two successful food shows to my credit. It’s all there on my personal YouTube page.

13. I did theatre in college, studied English Literature and Communication, started my career in a Public Relations firm, crossed over to the other side and took up journalism.


No.. I can't.. no..nooo...

14. During takeoff, I close my eyes, hold my breath and my seat. Remember Meg Ryan in French Kiss?

15.  When I’m not traveling solo, my partner (busy corporate television person) Sajeev travels with me. At other times my bestie and genius photographer Gowri gives me company.


So this here is a list of things that might interest you about me. Or maybe not. Phew! I just found out how hard it is to make a selfie list. Have you made one already? Leave it in the comment section cos by now you know I love listings. 

2 comments:

  1. Really?? It was fun reading it.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Really" is for all of the above or anyone in particular? Glad you enjoyed the piece Praseeth. I live to entertain ;)

    ReplyDelete